Website College Medical Center
The Unit Secretary position provides clerical support to nursing staff on the Medical/Surgical/Telemetry units.
This position supports the Mission of the Hospital through the provision of distinctive and compassionate care to our patients.
- High School Graduate or G.E.D. certificate preferred.
- BLS for healthcare provider’s card upon hire.
- Must be CPI certified within 30 days of employment
- 1-2 years’ experience as telemetry technician in an acute care facility preferred.
- Must be able to speak, read and write English.
Prolonged sitting, occasional standing and walking. Hand manipulation, both fine and gross dexterity is required for writing and technical skills. ___
Frequent exposure to noise, cold and heat. Occasional exposure to blood-borne pathogens, chemicals, general cleaning chemicals.
MAJOR TASKS, DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
(All duties listed below are essential to the job.)
* General Staff Accountabilities
- Employee’s conduct conforms to the Mission, Vision, Values, and Code of Conduct of College Medical Center.
- Values individual differences and demonstrates sensitivity to the cultural needs of others.
- Respects the rights, privacy and property of others, and maintains strict confidentiality.
- Effectively protects all health information from unauthorized access per HIPAA regulations and all applicable local and state laws.
- Exhibits good attendance and punctuality.
- Provides appropriate notice prior to vacation/time off and notifies supervisor a minimum of two hours prior to shift when unable to come to work.
- Observes allotted break and meal periods as prescribed by Hospital Policy and follows time card procedures by accurately writing in and out.
- Attends to personal affairs to avoid any interference with productivity.
- Adheres to the Dress Code.
- Demonstrates an understanding of their personal role in the case of fire/disaster and participates in Performance Improvement activities.
- Functions with an awareness of patient safety issues and applies basic principles of safety as identified within the facility.
- Follows the occurrence reporting policy and procedure in reporting any potential safety issues.
* Job Specific Accountabilities
Demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide clerical support for a patient care unit.
- Answers the telephone pleasantly before 3 rings and identifies unit, self and title
- Directs and interacts with patients, visitors, physicians and peer courteously.
- Routes incoming mail, distributes correspondence and other material to unit staff daily
- Responds immediately to patient call light
- Notifies appropriate member of nursing staff to responds to patient request in a timely manner
- Accurately transcribes physician orders to appropriate form and records 100% of the time
- Accurately enters physicians and nursing order into the electronic information system 100% of the time.
- Maintains an adequate filling system so information can be easily and efficiently retrieved
- Inventories and orders forms and supplies to assure an adequate supply
- Identified normal, abnormal and lethal cardiac rhythms on a monitor screen. Immediately notified RN of abnormal cardiac rhythms
- Initiates cardiopulmonary resuscitation notification procedures (Code Blue) immediately upon recognition of the lethal cardiac rhythm
- Performs all other duties responsibilities as assigned
* Customer Service
- Exhibits behavior that is courteous, compassionate, polite, friendly, and respectful towards patients, visitors, physicians, and co-workers and extends self to make patients, visitors, clinical staff, and peers feel welcome and respected.
To apply for this job please visit www.collegemedicalcenter.com.