Website College Medical Center
The Laboratory Phlebotomist is responsible for the operation X-ray equipment to make radiographs of designated portions of the body as ordered by a licensed physician.
This position supports the Mission of the Hospital through the provision of distinctive and compassionate care to our patients.
- Current CPR BLS for healthcare provider’s card upon hire
- Current California CPT I certification
- One year previous phlebotomy experience in an acute care hospital preferred
- Ability to demonstrate competence in performance of duties and responsibility related to task, skills and procedures rendered to appropriate age serviced. Must be able to speak, read and write in English.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to abide by CMC and department policies
- Ability to maintain attendance to support required quality and quantity of work
- Maintain confidentiality and comply with Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
- Ability to establish and maintain positive and effective work relationships with coworkers, clients, members, providers and customers
- Ability to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age served on the unit. Possess knowledge of growth and development over the life span. Must be able to speak, read and write English.
* Job Specific Accountabilities
Demonstrates knowledge, accuracy and skill in drawing and handling of blood specimens.
- Performs blood collection to include venipuncture and finger and heel sticks. Competent with techniques using standard equipment to include evacuated tubes and sleeves, tourniquets, syringes, and butterfly needles.
- Practice proper patient identification, label vials with patient names, dates, times and initial of the collector.
- Tracks collected specimens by initialing, dating, and noting times of collection: maintaining daily tallies of collections performed.
- Verifies test requisitions by comparing information with nursing station; bringing discrepancies to the attention of unit personnel.
- Maintains specimen integrity by using aseptic technique, following department procedures; observing isolation procedures.
- Collects therapeutic drug-monitoring assays by collaborating with nursing personnel to ensure appropriate drug dose to collection time.
- Resolve unusual test orders by contacting the physician, pathologist, nursing station, and reference laboratory.
- Receive specimens in lab, deliver the samples to proper sections of the lab, and centrifuge the samples.
- Processes specimens and requisitions for reference laboratories.
- Log temperatures and order supplies for send-outs and as needed.
- Confer with patients to obtain information for laboratory records, explain procedures, allay fears and elicit cooperation.
- Provide technical assistance, instruction and consultation to students, employees and management.
- Participate in the development of new laboratory policies and procedures and collection procedures and techniques for laboratory specimens.
- Evaluate collection equipment, techniques and work flow patterns and prepare reports outlining appropriate recommendations and conclusions.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in continuing educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks.
- Enhances phlebotomy department and hospital reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work as assigned.
Demonstrates ability to maintain and perform inventory of supplies
- Manages supplies and inventory as necessary and prepares a list of acquisition.
Demonstrates age appropriate care for integration across the life span.
- Recognizes and responds appropriately to unique needs of varying age groups.
- Recognizes and responds to safety factors for age level involved.
* Customer Service
- Exhibits behavior that is courteous, compassionate, polite, friendly, and respectful towards patients, visitors, physicians, and co-workers and extends self to make patients, visitors, clinical staff, and peers feel welcome and respected.
To apply for this job please visit www.collegemedicalcenter.com.