Website College Medical Center
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
The Emergency Department (ED) LVN provides professional and technical skills to ensure the safety, comfort, personal hygiene and the protection of all age groups under direct supervision of the ED Registered Nurse.
This position supports the Mission of the Hospital through the provision of distinctive and compassionate care to our patients.
- Current California LVN license (IV certified)
- Must have current CPR BLS for healthcare providers, ACLS upon hire, and PALS completed within 6 months of hire.
- Must be CPI certified within 30 days of employment
- One-year ED clinical experience preferred, will consider acute hospital care experience
- Demonstrate the knowledge of the principle of growth and development over the life span and while providing care needed by the patient population; identify each patient’s age specific needs/status through data collection and collaboration with the RN and Physician staff
- Must be able to speak, read and write English
Prolonged, excessive standing and walking. Lifts positions, pull/transfers 50-75 lbs. Considerable stooping, bending and kneeling. Hand manipulations both fine and gross dexterity are required for writing and technical skills.
Frequent exposure to noise, cold and heat. Occasional exposure to blood borne pathogens, chemicals, general cleaning chemicals.
MAJOR TASKS, DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
(All duties listed below are essential to the job)
*General Staff Accountabilities
- Employee’s conduct conforms to the Mission, Vision, Values, and Code of Conduct of College Medical Center.
- Values individual differences and demonstrates sensitivity to the cultural needs of others.
- Respects the rights, privacy and property of others, and maintains strict confidentiality.
- Effectively protects all health information from unauthorized access per HIPAA regulations and all applicable local and state laws.
- Exhibits good attendance and punctuality.
- Provides appropriate notice prior to vacation/time off and notifies supervisor a minimum of two hours prior to shift when unable to come to work.
- Observes allotted break and meal periods as prescribed by Hospital Policy and follows time card procedures by accurately writing in and out.
- Attends to personal affairs to avoid any interference with productivity.
- Adheres to Dress Code.
- Demonstrates an understanding of their personal role in the case of fire/disaster and participates in Performance Improvement activities.
*Job Specific Accountabilities
Provides Direct Patient Care to a Specified Patient Population
- Under direct supervision of the RN and physician, manages the care of patients during the emergent, urgent and/or non-urgent phase of the disease/illness process.
- Reviews patient history, diagnostic data and physician orders/notes, if available, prior to data gathering from the patient/family/significant other.
- Collects data by interviewing patient, family/significant other within a specified time frame.
- Assesses for age specific abuse/neglect and reports to Charge Nurse/Physician/agency as mandated.
- Collaborates with RN for educational level, learning needs, preferred teaching methods and barriers to learning for each patient.
- Prioritized patient care needs based on patient’s data and condition.
- Reports abnormal diagnostic data and/or changes in patient’s condition to physician/RN in a timely manner.
- Reviews and implements physician orders accurately and timely within LVN scope of service.
- Performs basic nursing procedures, specific unit based nursing procedures and/or standardized procedures safely, accurately and efficiently per policy and procedure within scope.
- Administers the right medication, in the right dose to the right patient in the appropriate route and on time, 100% of the time within scope of service.
- Prepares patients for transfer in accordance with regulatory agency requirements and per policy and procedure.
- Provides appropriate teaching to each patient based on learning needs.
- Collaborates with the RN/physician/ ancillary services to provide appropriate care to each patient.
- Documents in a timely manner and reports responses to treatment and changes in clinical conditions to the RN/physician.
- Able to recognize patient in distress and report changes to the RN/physician immediately.
- Takes initiative and works collaboratively with the ED team.
- Expresses self clearly and effectively in written communication. Presents ideas in an organized and persuasive manner. Maintains effective communication with ED customers/coworkers.
Demonstrates the ability to perform as a professional LVN
- Understands the legal aspects of Emergency Nursing, implications of COBRA regulations and the importance of accurate and timely documentation according to the standards and policy.
- Successfully completes core and unit specific competencies annually.
- Maintains knowledge and skills in clinical specialty through success completion of a minimum 8 CEU’s annually.
- Performs all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Exhibits behavior that is courteous, compassionate, polite, friendly, and respectful towards patients, visitors, physicians, and coworkers and extends self to make patients, visitors, clinical staff, and peers feel welcome and respected.
Reports to: Director of Emergency Services
Compensation Rate: $28.20 – $35.25
To apply for this job please visit www.collegemedicalcenter.com.