Website College Medical Center
Assumes responsibility and accountability for administrative duties of the department of nursing and the hospital. Oversees patient care and personnel in the absence of Department Directors/Managers/Coordinators and Supervisors.
This position supports the Mission of the Hospital by providing an environment that allows for provision of distinctive and compassionate care to our patients.
- Degree or Diploma in Nursing. Three to five years current experience as an Administrative Supervisor in an acute care facility preferred.
- Current California R.N. license
- Current CPR BLS and ACLS for healthcare provider cards upon hire
- Must obtain CPI certification with 30 days of employment
- Demonstrates knowledge and skills necessary to oversee and direct personnel delivery direct patient care activities in multiple patient care settings. Knowledge of growth and development over the life span. Must be able to speak, read and write in English.
Prolonged standing/walking, occasional lifting, pushing of 50-75 lbs. Hand manipulation, both fine and gross dexterity for writing and technical skills
Frequent exposure to noise, cold and heat. Occasional exposure to blood borne pathogens, chemicals, general cleaning chemicals.
MAJOR TASKS, DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
(All duties listed below are essential to the job.)
* Management Accountabilities
- Manager’s conduct conforms to the Management Principles, Mission, Vision, Values, and Code of Conduct of College Hospital.
- Provides timely & objective feedback on employee job performance before or within two weeks of performance evaluation due date; rewards exemplary behavior; administers performance improvement plans including disciplinary action as necessary.
- Documents on-going staff meetings, orientation and in-service training activities.
- Effectively protects all health information from unauthorized access per HIPAA regulations and all applicable local and state laws.
- Demonstrates compliance with all applicable standards of regulatory agencies by developing & maintaining policies, procedures & criteria based job descriptions that comply with applicable regulatory & accreditation agencies.
- Demonstrates the ability to forecast annual budgets for staffing and departmental needs; maintains department monthly expenditures; takes appropriate action to adjust accounts during the budgeted year, i.e. overages.
- Demonstrates the ability to keep up with the demands of the position: delegates responsibilities appropriately.
- Demonstrates the ability to make sound judgments by identifying, assessing, and communicating appropriately.
- Demonstrates the ability to effect, implement and maintain changes.
- Demonstrates & communicates support for Administration’s goals & directives, and responds to required Administrative deadlines.
- Attends and participates in required management meetings and seminars.
- Demonstrates continual professional development: maintains required certifications for position; interviews and selects qualified employees in accordance with current criteria based job descriptions.
- Attends to personal affairs to avoid any interference with productivity.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the Hospital’s Fire/Disaster Safety Manual by knowing personal as well as departmental role in the case of a code; has oriented staff to such.
- Functions with an awareness of patient safety issues and applies basic principles of safety as identified within the facility. Ensures that staff follows the occurrence reporting policy and procedure in reporting any potential safety issues.
* Job Specific Accountabilities
Acts as all Administrative Representative on assigned shifts
- Correctly interprets hospital policy.
- Coordinates activities for all hospital departments.
- Consults with appropriate manager/director to resolve problems in their areas.
- Consults with Administrator on call to resolve problems.
- Appropriately notifies Administrator on call of significant issues
Responsible for the effective management of patient care on assigned shifts.
- Coordinates the clinical and managerial activities for a specific shift.
- Communicates effectively to the relief supervisor relevant shift information.
- Provides personnel to ensure adequate staffing in accordance with matrix and acuity standards.
- Provides clinical resources as needed to the staff through direct clinical intervention or provision of appropriate clinical expertise.
- Provides input for staff evaluations.
- Utilizes the nursing process to identify, define and prioritize patient care needs.
- Identifies learning needs of staff and communicates these needs to the director.
- Acts as admitting nurse to effectively triage patients and ensure appropriate bed placement.
- Assures registry personnel documentation is current and orientation/ evaluation forms are completed at end of shift.
- Correctly accesses the night medication locker.
Contributes toward attainment of hospital and departmental goals and objectives.
- Consistently maintains information flow regarding nursing and hospital activities.
- Completes all documentation and reports on a timely basis.
- Participates in resolving interdepartmental and intradepartmental system problems.
- Verbally counsels employees in accordance with hospital policy and notifies appropriate director.
- Contacts appropriate manager regarding employee behavior requiring additional intervention.
- Makes patient rounds during shift and communicates issues to the nursing unit director.
Demonstrates age appropriate care for integration across the life span
- Recognizes and responds appropriately to unique needs of varying age groups with who she/he has contact.
- Recognizes and responds to safety factors for age level involved.
* Customer Service
- Exhibits behavior that is courteous, compassionate, polite, friendly, and respectful towards patients, visitors, physicians, and co-workers and extends self to make patients, visitors, clinical staff, and peers feel welcome and respected.
To apply for this job please visit www.collegemedicalcenter.com.