Website College Medical Center
This position processes laboratory specimens; performs Pre-analytical, Analytical and Post-analytical processes and reports CLIA waived, moderate complexity and high complexity testing; maintains laboratory records.
This position supports the Mission of the Hospital through the provision of distinctive and compassionate care to our patients.
- BS/BA degree in Medical Technology or related Biological Science.
- Current California Clinical Laboratory Scientist License
- ASCP Board of Registry preferred
- One (1) year experience in an acute care setting with multi-tasking skills.
- Ability to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age served on the unit. Possess knowledge of growth and development over the life span. Must be able to speak, read and write English
Frequent exposure to noise, cold and heat. Occasional exposure to bloodborne pathogens, chemicals, general cleaning chemicals.
MAJOR TASKS, DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
(All duties listed below are essential to the job.)
* General Staff Accountabilities
- Employee’s conduct conforms to the Mission, Vision, Values, and Code of Conduct of College Medical Center.
- Values individual differences and demonstrates sensitivity to the cultural needs of others.
- Respects the rights, privacy and property of others, and maintains strict confidentiality.
- Effectively protects all health information from unauthorized access per HIPAA regulations & all applicable local & state laws.
- Exhibits good attendance and punctuality.
- Provides appropriate notice prior to vacation/time off and notifies supervisor a minimum of two hours prior to shift when unable to come to work.
- Observes allotted break and meal periods as prescribed by Hospital Policy and follows time card procedures by accurately writing in and out.
- Attends to personal affairs to avoid any interference with productivity.
- Adheres to the Dress Code.
- Demonstrates an understanding of their personal role in the case of fire/disaster and participates in Performance Improvement activities.
- Functions with an awareness of patient safety issues and applies basic principles of safety as identified within the facility.
- Follows the occurrence reporting policy and procedure in reporting any potential safety issues.
* Job Specific Accountabilities
Demonstrates the ability to accurately perform and report CLIA defined waived, moderate complexity, and high complexity laboratory testing.
Adheres strictly to the Quality Assurance Program Policies and Procedures in general.
- Verifies that appropriate samples are being analyzed.
- Performs testing of analyses in accordance with department policies and procedures.
- Ensures quality of test results before reporting by performing appropriate quality controls. Completes and documents appropriate corrective action when quality control exceeds acceptable limits.
- Performs and maintains necessary Function Checks, (Maintenance, Calibration and Temperature Readings, etc) on all instruments used.
- Reviews daily, weekly and monthly Quality Control for shifts and trends and performs and documents corrective action as needed for Laboratory Manager’s review.
- Verifies accuracy of test before reporting results and adheres to the Turn Around Time, TAT, of specific analyte(s).
- Notifies proper licensed personnel and documents his/her initial, date, time and name of personnel called for critical values.
- Prioritizes workload, including prompt response to STAT requests.
- Proficient use of the L.I.S. in reporting test results within the acceptable time frame.
- Participates in proficiency testing program commensurate with the service offered.
- Demonstrates effective communications and good working relationships with departmental peers as well as employees within other departments.
- Adheres to the laboratory safety policies and procedures.
- Participates in general laboratory meetings and in services.
- Maintains and submits proof of 12 Continuing Education Units per year
- Maintains work area in a sanitary condition.
Demonstrates ability to validate and troubleshoot instruments malfunctions and solve technical problems as needed.
Operates equipment and instruments according to department policies and procedures and manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Adheres to maintenance schedules and maintains all records as required.
- Detect and troubleshoot technical and operation problems and contact field service support for additional assistance if necessary.
- Notifies supervisor of any equipment malfunctions.
- Takes appropriate action to ensure and correct performance of reagents and instruments.
Demonstrates ability to maintain and perform inventory of supplies.
- Maintains reagents and supplies at an adequate par level.
- Notifies supervisor when supplies are backordered.
Demonstrates ability to participate in the Quality Performance Improvement Program.
Participates in projects and developing new laboratory procedures.
- Collects data for performance improvement activities.
- Logs quality improvement issues as they arise on concurrent QA log.
- Performs all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Demonstrates age appropriate care for integration across the life span.
Recognizes and responds appropriately to unique needs of varying age groups with who she/he has contact.
- Recognizes and responds to Safety Factors for age level involved.
State Plan / Department Specific Duties and Responsibilities (List all essential duties other than those listed above in order of importance)
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (List all knowledge, skills and abilities that are necessary to perform the job satisfactorily)
Demonstrate competence in performance of duties and responsibility related to task, skills and procedures rendered to appropriate age serviced. Must be able to speak, read and write in English.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to abide by CMC and department policies
- Ability to maintain attendance to support required quality and quantity of work
- Maintain confidentiality and comply with Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
- Ability to establish and maintain positive and effective work relationships with coworkers, clients, members, providers and customers.
* Customer Service
Exhibits behavior that is courteous, compassionate, polite, friendly, and respectful towards patients, visitors, physicians, and co-workers and extends self to make patients, visitors, clinical staff, and peers feel welcome and respected.
To apply for this job please visit www.collegemedicalcenter.com.