Website College Medical Center
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
The Medical Surgical/Telemetry Unit Charge Nurse coordinates staff and patient care activities during a specified shift. Provides professional and technical skills to ensure the safety, comfort, personal hygiene and the protection of a specific patient population in the provision of patient care.
This position supports the Mission of the Hospital through the provision of distinctive and compassionate care to our patients
- Current RN license, CPR BLS for healthcare provider and ACLS card upon hire.
- Previous clinical experience in an acute care facility.
- Charge Nurse experience preferred.
- Ability to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age served on the unit. Possess knowledge of growth and development over the life span.
- Must be able to speak, read and write English.
Prolonged, extensive, walking/standing. Lifts, positions, pushes and/or transfers patients 50 – 75 lbs. Considerable reaching, stooping, bending, kneeling and crouching. Hand manipulation, both fine and gross dexterity are required for writing and technical skills.
Frequent exposure to noise, cold and heat. Occasional exposure to blood-borne pathogens, chemicals, general cleaning chemicals.
MAJOR TASKS, DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
(All duties listed below are essential to the job.)
* General Staff Accountabilities
- Employee’s conduct conforms to the Mission, Vision, Values, and Code of Conduct of College Medical Center.
- Values individual differences and demonstrates sensitivity to the cultural needs of others.
- Respects the rights, privacy and property of others, and maintains strict confidentiality.
- Effectively protects all health information from unauthorized access per HIPAA regulations and all applicable local and state laws.
- Exhibits good attendance and punctuality.
- Provides appropriate notice prior to vacation/time off and notifies supervisor a minimum of two hours prior to shift when unable to come to work.
- Observes allotted break and meal periods as prescribed by Hospital Policy and follows time card procedures by accurately writing in and out.
- Attends to personal affairs to avoid any interference with productivity.
- Adheres to the Dress Code.
- Demonstrates an understanding of their personal role in the case of fire/disaster and participates in Performance Improvement activities.
- Functions with an awareness of patient safety issues and applies basic principles of safety as identified within the facility.
- Follows the occurrence reporting policy and procedure in reporting any potential safety issues.
* Job Specific Accountabilities
Coordinates staff and patient care activities during a specified shift
- Prepares projected 6 week staffing schedules to ensure adequate licensed and non-licensed personnel are scheduled to meet patient care needs.
- Collaborates with the Staffing Coordinator and/or the Administrative Supervisor to ensure appropriate skill mix is on duty for the oncoming shift.
- Assigns licensed and non-licensed staff to care for patients according to patient needs and skill level of available staff.
- Participates in the interview and selection process for new hires.
- Coordinates new hire unit orientation and assigns preceptors. Monitors effectiveness of orientation process.
- Monitors time cards/sheets to verify staff are following the time keeping policy and procedure. Follows up with staff when non-compliant. Monitors and trends absenteeism and reports excesses to Supervisor.
- Monitors unit productivity and reports variances to Supervisor.
- Initiates and/or participates in coaching/counseling staff through the disciplinary process.
- Identifies staff development needs. Initiates and/or participates in staff goal setting meetings.
- Coaches staff to develop and demonstrate appropriate problem solving behaviors and teaches methods to improve decision-making skills.
- Identifies opportunities to improve performance and leads and/or participates in performance improvement teams (P.I.T.’s).
- Schedules, plans agenda and leads unit meetings.
Demonstrates effective communication with patient, family and coworkers
- Consistently provides timely and accurate information to patient, family and coworkers to achieve the highest possible level of satisfaction.
- Introduces self by name in person and utilizing proper telephone procedure.
- Provides supervisor with current licensing and certification documentation prior to the time of expiration.
* Customer Service
- Exhibits behavior that is courteous, compassionate, polite, friendly, and respectful towards patients, visitors, physicians, and co-workers and extends self to make patients, visitors, clinical staff, and peers feel welcome and respected.
Compensation Rate: $48.33 – $60.41
To apply for this job please visit www.collegemedicalcenter.com.