Website College Medical Center
The BHU Registered Nurse will provide safe and therapeutic management of patient care to adult and elderly behavioral health patients through utilization of the Nursing process, in adherence to the Standards of Practice and policies and procedures, and in collaboration with other members of the healthcare team.
This position supports the Mission of the Hospital through the provision of distinctive and compassionate care to our patients.
Current CA RN license and BLS for healthcare provider card upon hire. Current CPI certificate or within 30 days of entry to position. Minimum 1 year experience in acute psychiatric inpatient setting preferred. Knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and the ability to assess and interpret data, determine patient care requirements and deliver care relative to the patients’ age specific needs. Knowledge of the principles and practices of psychiatric nursing.
Work is of medium demand, walking and standing most of the time on duty. Occasional lifting of patients with assistance. Some reaching, stooping, bending, kneeling and crouching. Hand manipulation, both fine and gross dexterity is required to writing and technical skills.
Working in an acute behavioral care environment with frequent patient and staff contact.
MAJOR TASKS, DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
(All duties listed below are essential to the job.)
Provides direct patient care to a specified patient population
- Appropriately manages the care of mental health patients, maintaining department standards of quality.
- Prioritizes patient care based on physical, psychiatric, and psychosocial assessment.
- Assures implementation of patient care based on identified needs and in a systematic and therapeutic manner as evidenced by the interdisciplinary treatment plan.
Coordinates patient care utilizing the nursing process: Assessment
- Collects data by interviewing patient, family/significant other within specified time frame.
- Utilizes collected data to establish a list of actual and potential patient problems/needs.
- Utilizes collected data to form a hypothesis as to the etiologic basis for each identified actual or potential problem/need.
- Assesses educational level, learning needs, preferred teaching methods and barriers to learning.
- Reports abnormal diagnostic date and/or changes in patients’ condition to physician in a timely manner.
- Collaborates with patient, significant others, and other health team members in identification of problem/needs.
Coordinates patient care utilizing the nursing process: Planning
- Utilizes nursing diagnosis for the actual or potential problem/needs, which nurses, by virtue of education and experience, are able, responsible and accountable to treat.
- Establishes the priority of problems /needs according to the actual/potential threat to the patient.
- Communicates the written plan of care, and changes to the plan, to the patient, family, significant other and other members of health care team through the report process and other methods as appropriate.
- Updates/revises the written plan of care as patient needs are resolved and/or as patient condition changes.
- Attends weekly multidisciplinary meetings to update and individualize master treatment plan according to needs of the patient.
- Reviews and implements physician orders accurately and timely.
Coordinates patient care utilizing the nursing process: Implementation
- Performs basic nursing procedures, specific unit based nursing procedures and/or standardized procedures safely, accurately and efficiently per policy and procedure.
- Incorporates interventions that communicate acceptance on the patients’ beliefs, culture, religion, and socioeconomic background.
- Considers knowledge deficits, barriers to learning and appropriate teaching methods in performing patient teaching.
- Collaborates with other disciplines to assure an uninterrupted treatment plan.
- Participates in continuous quality improvement of the program.
- Observes records and reports stability of changes in the patients’ condition. Monitors the patients’ attendance in program activities and treatment modalities.
- Interacts with patient on a one-to-one basis in a therapeutic manner.
- Monitors the safety of the therapeutic milieu and assists in the management of the assaultive patient.
- Evaluates effectiveness and patient response to treatments, procedures and medications. Provides alternative interventions as needed and re-evaluates
Coordinates patient care utilizing the nursing process: Evaluation
- Monitors patient behavior to evaluate effectiveness of patient teaching provided.
- Recognizes life threatening patient complications/situations and responds immediately by initiating and participating in emergency procedures.
- Participates in monitoring patient outcomes (short term and/or long term) to evaluate effectiveness of care provided and to identify organizational performance improvement opportunities.
- Understands the legal aspects of nursing and the importance of accurate and timely documentation according to standards and policy and procedures.
- Documents evaluation findings in the patient record.
- Demonstrates efforts to maintain and improve knowledge and skills through in-service and continuing education.
- Incorporates new knowledge into practice.
- Satisfies all required competency evaluation.
* Customer Service
- Exhibits behavior that is courteous, compassionate, polite, friendly, and respectful towards patients, visitors, physicians, and co-workers and extends self to make patients, visitors, clinical staff, and peers feel welcome and respected.
Salary Rate: $41.43 – $51.79
To apply for this job please visit www.collegemedicalcenter.com.